Sep 13, 2010

First attempt at Needle Tatting

I had bought a size 5 needle from Handy Hands few months back. Many times I practiced on my needle guided by tutorials on the internet. There are excellent tutorials on youtube for needle tatting, many of them are by Totusmel. Few days back Agasunset also added a superb tutorial video on her blog and there is another one by Middia.

I finally tatted my first motif. It has been needle tatted in Red Rose thread size 20. It is a simple pattern, the rings are 3-3-3-3 and the chains are 6-6. Needle tatting gives a broader and flatter knot which looks quite nice. It definitely has its advantages and disadvantages compared to shuttle tatting. 


I feel shuttle tatting gives more flexibility but needle tatting is better for intricate celtic designs, long necklaces and pearl tatting.

6 comments:

  1. Great job on your first needletatting! I switch back and forth between needle and shuttle depending on the project. It's nice to have experience with both. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'll be using both needle and shuttle from now on..

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is lovely piece! ...I have my needles waiting for me to learn! Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying my hand at needle tatting too. But your does not appear like you are doing it for the first time. Absolutely wonderful work! :)

    Sailu @ Sailus Kitchen - Indian Recipes

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are highly valued, please do not hesitate.